Ramón Ruiz Marrodán, renovation of church in Vico en Arnedo
Fotos cortesía de Ramón Ruiz Marrodán
In Arnedo, a municipality in Spain’s La Rioja region, the church of the Monastery of Our Lady of Vico – inhabited by nuns of the Cistercian Order – was refurbished on the basis of a project drawn up by the local practice of Ramón Ruiz Marrodán. The intervention involved partly covering the building as well as recovering the lost crypt. The temple was built in the 16th century and enlarged early in the 18th. An earthquake caused serious damage on it in 1755, opening up cracks that were never dealt with, and lack of maintenance brought down the roof in 1962, burying the crypt. To protect the church and prevent further deterioration, a roof of sandwich panels was installed, along with a composite slab made of four large H-beams, which serves as flooring for the church and as a gray-painted ceiling for the crypt beneath. The operation simply involved remedying damages and ensuring structural stability. In addition, the space is more clearly defined through lighting and a concrete pavement.
analyzes in each issue a theme related to a city, a country, a tendency or an
architect, with articles by leading specialists complemented by commentary on works
and projects illustrated in detail. Published bilingually, with Spanish and English
texts placed side by side.
covers current topics, taking stock of recent trends in set sections: cover story,
works and projects, art and culture, books, technique and innovation. From 2013
on, monthly and bilingual, with Spanish and English texts printed side by side.
is the third member of the AV family: a bilingual publication essentially focussed
on design projects (with special attention on competitions and construction details),
heretofore only laterally dealt with in the other two magazines.