David Chipperfield Architects, Jacoby Studios in Paderborn (Germany)
Photos: Simon Menges
The former St. Vincenz hospital, situated in the medieval town center of Paderborn, has been converted by the firm of David Chipperfield into a new headquarters for the company Jacoby Studios. Originally a 17th-century Capuchin monastery, the ensemble was used as a hospital from 1841 onwards, and severely damaged during World War II. Subsequently the complex suffered several changes and extensions. The conversion for Jacoby Studios involved removing postwar additions to expose the monastery fabric once again, in particular preserving and restoring the chapel facade, the cloister, the east wing, and the cellar of the 1600s. New extension wings rising two or three floors are arranged in accordance with the orthogonal structure to the north, west, and south of the original buildings, resulting in a well balanced composition of different volumes. The complex takes on an identity of its own while maintaining its historic continuity.
analyzes in each issue a theme related to a city, a country, a tendency or an
architect, with articles by leading specialists complemented by commentary on works
and projects illustrated in detail. Published bilingually, with Spanish and English
texts placed side by side.
covers current topics, taking stock of recent trends in set sections: cover story,
works and projects, art and culture, books, technique and innovation. From 2013
on, monthly and bilingual, with Spanish and English texts printed side by side.
is the third member of the AV family: a bilingual publication essentially focussed
on design projects (with special attention on competitions and construction details),
heretofore only laterally dealt with in the other two magazines.