rodríguez + pintos, interpretation center in A Guarda (Pontevedra)
Photos: Héctor Santos-Díez
A Guarda – a municipality in the Galician comarca of O Baixo Miño (Lower Miño) – is home to the castle of Santa Cruz, which was built on the bank of the Miño River in the context of the Portuguese Restoration War (1640-1668), when Portugal got back its independence, freeing itself from from Spain’s monarchy. This fortified enclave is the last link of a defensive chain along the border. Beside the castle is the Interpretation Center for the Cross-Border Fortresses of the Lower Miño, the first phase of which has been executed by the Galician practice of Jaime Rodríguez and Santos Pintos. Recovering general historical lines, the intervention comprises two parts: on the one hand, the preexisting construction of solid masonry is restored to accommodate exhibition spaces; on the other hand, three small pavilions have been added, with structures and outer claddings of steel, to contain the reception area, the cafetería, and the washrooms. Old and new elements are connected by a covered zone.
analyzes in each issue a theme related to a city, a country, a tendency or an
architect, with articles by leading specialists complemented by commentary on works
and projects illustrated in detail. Published bilingually, with Spanish and English
texts placed side by side.
covers current topics, taking stock of recent trends in set sections: cover story,
works and projects, art and culture, books, technique and innovation. From 2013
on, monthly and bilingual, with Spanish and English texts printed side by side.
is the third member of the AV family: a bilingual publication essentially focussed
on design projects (with special attention on competitions and construction details),
heretofore only laterally dealt with in the other two magazines.